url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m60539.html
Re: CS>Answer to Catherine, warning to Mike Monett...
From: Mike Monett
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:17:10

  I wrote:

  > Jason has  removed this protection, and added one more  battery to
  > the stack. This increases the hazard.

  The reason  this  increases  the hazard is  described  by  a battery
  engineer for Ray-O-Vac:

  From: Jon Brinkmann (jv...@virginia.edu)
  Subject: Re: Recharging ALKALINE batteries

  Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc, rec.radio.amateur.equipment
  Date: 1993-07-06 16:37:18 PST

  I used  to  be  a  Product  Reliability  Engineer  for  Ray-O-Vac. I
  strongly advise  against attempting to recharge an  alkaline battery
  unless it  is  designed  to  be  recharged.  Alkaline  batteries can
  explode if  reverse  current  is forced through them,  as  it  is in
  recharging. In fact, placing a partially discharged alkaline battery
  in series  with  other fresh batteries can force  a  reverse current
  through the battery, causing it to explode.

  Since, unlike  zinc-carbon (ordinary) batteries,  alkaline batteries
  have a  steel  can,  the   explosion  can  be  lethal.  All alkaline
  batteries are designed with a safety vent in the cap, but I wouldn't
  trust my life or limbs to that little piece of plastic!  If pressure
  build fast enough, the can can still explode.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&frame=right&th=3a2dde59c3f7e15c&seekm=C9rnpC.Btu%40murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU

  This was posted in 1993 - ten years ago. Alkalines have  far greater
  energy now than they did at that time.

  There are  many  references  to  the fact  the  safety  vent  is not
  reliable. Numerous  accounts on the newsgroups show  Alkalines often
  explode. Here's just one: