url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m60809.html
Re: CS> H2O2, ag(+), NaCl
From: Frank Key
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:11:28

Hi Frank,

  Thanks for taking the time to help answer these questions. I  have a
  few more:) (previous post lightly snipped to save time.)

  > Mike Monett wrote:

  >> I gently heated the remaining cs to boil away the water. It is my
  >> understanding that  a silver ion cannot exist in the  free state,
  >> and must  combine  to form particles. So I assume  there  were no
  >> silver ions  remaining after the jar dried. (I  still  don't know
  >> where the  needed electrons come from, but that  is  another open
  >> issue.)

  > The electron  comes from the anion that has an excess  which gives
  > the anion the negative ionic charge. When the water  is evaporated
  > the anions  give up an electron, the cation take  on  an electron,
  > and the  compound (salt) is formed. If the salt is  water soluble,
  > the reverse  happens when the salt is dissolved  in  water causing
  > the dissociation into the respective ions.

  Where does  the salt come from? The cs was made  with medium-quality
  WalMart dw with the impurities at less than 1ppm. No salt was added.

  > Here is more from the FAQ on silver-colloids.com:

  > What happens  to  the silver ions in solution  when  the  water is
  > evaporated? Silver ions in a solution cannot exist  without water,
  > so when  the  water is evaporated the silver  ions  (cations) must
  > combine with  an   available   anion   to   form  a  compound. The
  > predominant anions  present  in   a  silver  colloid  solution are
  > hydroxide and  carbonate.  The compounds  thus  formed  are silver
  > hydroxide and  silver carbonate. Silver hydroxide is  unstable and
  > reduces to  silver oxide and hydrogen. The  silver  carbonate will
  > reduce to silver oxide and carbon dioxide. The final compound that
  > remains is silver oxide.

  Again, there  are  not  enough impurities in  the  dw  to  give much
  silver carbonate.

  Is silver  hydroxide from the OH(-) part of H2O? Then where  does it
  get the missing electron that went to make the silver hydroxide??

  > There is  no mystery to how particles are formed  by electrolysis.
  > The    following   description   has   been   available    on  the
  > silver-colloids.com website  for   several   years.   Here  is the
  > explanation from the FAQ on silver-colloids.com for those who have
  > missed it.

  > How does electrolysis produce silver particles? This discussion of
  > electrolysis assumes two silver electrodes are placed in deionized
  > water a  small distance apart. The electrodes are  connected  to a
  > low voltage DC power source (9-30 VDC). The electrode connected to
  > the positive  (+)  terminal  is  referred  to  as  the  anode, the
  > electrode connected to the negative (-) terminal is referred to as
  > the cathode.

  > With the electrolysis process, some of the ions in close proximity
  > to the  anode  will take on an electron from  the  current passing
  > through and be changed from an ion back into an atom.

  How can  a  silver  ion take an electron  from  the  current passing
  through? I thought the current in an electrolyte was purely ions.

  Similarly, I don't see how a silver ion could grab an  electron from
  the anode.  It  is  perhaps 30 Volts positive  with  respect  to the
  cathode.

  The nearest  source  of electrons is the cathode, but it  is  a very
  long way away.

  An electron  cannot  survive in solution. It would be  grabbed  by a
  H(+) ion. Any electrons released by the cathode are used by the H(+)
  ions to form hydrogen gas.

  So where do the electrons come from to make the particles  that form
  the mist at both electrodes in the following picture?

    http://www.utopiasilver.com/images/gen3.jpg

  > frank key

Best Regards,

Mike Monett