url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m61192.html
RE: CS>The color of silver
From: Ivan Anderson
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:03:44

  > Hello Mike,

  > I am back on board for a while, and am glad to help where I can.

  This is great! There are many questions I would like to ask:)

  > The mobility  of  ions   (movement   under   the  influence  of an
  > electrical gradient) in aqueous solution is measured  as m2s-1V-1.
  > That is,  metres  squared  per  second  per  volt.  Metres squared
  > because of the relationship between mobility and diffusion.

  > Silver ion Ag+     6.4 x 10^-8
  > Hydroxyl ion OH-  20.5 x 10^-8

  > As you can see the mobility of ions is extremely slow,  0.02mm per
  > second for  Ag+ at 30V. Notice that the hydroxyl  ions  travels at
  > three times the speed of the silver ion.

  Ugh. Thanks  for  the information. This is  a  potentially crippling
  blow to my theory, but I'll think about it and see what develops.

  > I have  seen  some  mists  leaving the  anode,  but  only  at high
  > potentials or in contaminated water.

  Yes, I  don't  see mist at the anode very often,  and  only  at high
  current. Here is an example of a 3 nines misting at both electrodes:

  http://www.utopiasilver.com/images/gen3.jpg

  > Some food  for thought: OH- is generated at the  cathode  in equal
  > quantities to  Ag+ at the anode, until some silver ions  reach the
  > cathode.

  Yes, this  brings  up a small problem.  Several  people  have posted
  observations of  misting  with a 3 nines after  only  10  minutes of
  operation. This  does not seem to allow enough time for  silver ions
  to reach the cathode.

  > At that  time  both water and silver ions  are  reduced  here (and
  > perhaps silver ions preferentially given the over-voltage required
  > to reduce water) so the amount of OH- available for  reaction with
  > Ag+ is lower, perhaps halved at least.

  Something funny  seems  to  be happening  at  the  cathode  with low
  current density (for example, 87 uA/sq.in.)

  With high current density, both electrodes are covered with  a black
  film. Even if you wipe it off, the electrodes remain dark.

  When the  same electrodes are run at low current density,  the anode
  remains dark,  but  the  cathode residue  is  removed  down  to bare
  silver. Steve  mentioned  that he tried running at  low  current and
  observed the same thing.

  > Also, for  ions to interact they must pretty much collide  head on
  > with each other and with sufficient velocity to break  through the
  > shield of  water molecules they drag with them and which  form the
  > ions hydrated  radius. For example, the radius of the  Ag+  ion is
  > about 0.126nm while its hydrated radius is 0.212nm

  > What does  all  this mean? well my view is:  The  concentration of
  > silver ions will rise in the solution as long as water  is reduced
  > to H2(gas)  at  the cathode. The interaction between  Ag+  and OH-
  > forming AgOH  or 2AgO (the two are interchangeable  depending upon
  > pH) is  minimal,  perhaps only 1 or 2%.  There  is  some Ag(solid)
  > colloids infused from Ag+ reduction at the cathode.

  > Regards
  > Ivan

  Yes, it seems the probability of silver ions combining with hydroxyl
  seems to  be  very low. The thing that strikes  me  is  when misting
  starts, it  occurs very suddenly. This has always  surprised  me. If
  the process is continued, the entire solution turns black  and coats
  the sides of the glass.

  However, misting  does  not seem to occur  below  a  certain current
  density. Near the end of the process, I sometimes see very tiny gray
  fingers growing on the cathode. Perhaps you see them also  since you
  run at low current.

  If I stop the process at this point and wipe the cathode,  the trace
  deposit looks  shiny  instead of black. If  I  continue  the process
  after the fingers start growing, the solution starts turning yellow.

  One thing that might help explain this is the concentration  of ions
  depends on  the  current density. At low  current  density,  the ion
  cloud is  too diffuse to allow many interactions, and  few particles
  are produced. As the current is increased, two things happen:

  1. the number of ions increases, which makes a denser cloud.

  2. the  stronger electric field compresses the ion  cloud  closer to
  the electrodes. This also makes it denser.

  With a denser cloud, 1% or 2% becomes a large number, since  it only
  applies to the local ion concentration, and not the concentration of
  the entire solution.

  However, you  have  thrown a monkey wrench into my  theory  with the
  hydroxyl mobility.  I'll have to take my daily walk and  think about
  it some more.

  But thanks  very  much  for  the  replies.  I'd  love  to  hear your
  description of how the misting starts.

  I'll collect the links to my process as you requested and  post them
  later.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett