I would hazard a guess and say that the bottom of the electrode is
sharp and has formed a current 'hot spot', and is emitting a stream of
ions much as the needle point of a negative ion generator does. If one
covered the end of the electrode with a non-reactive plastic perhaps
this emission would then cease.

Ivan.