Sorry, folks, I got this wrong: what I was remembering was a renewed interest in bacteriophages, which are viruses that take over bacteria. The longstanding and recently revived hope is that some bacteriophages may be enlisted in new medical cures.

IAW,  the enemy of my enemy is my friend . . . .

Apologies.

JBB