The problem is that you have no way of knowing if you got a bad bottle or
not, or,  how bad it is, especially if it's not so WAY bad as to be totally
unbelievable like that bad one I got.

 A 'single' bad bottle in a batch number that is supposedly good indicates
a quality control problem.
 EVERY bottle should be checked before shipping and was obviously not.

 The means of checking [at least for comparison] came in the form of a
metalized plastic sachet of sol designed to be the test container. [Cut off
top and insert meter]
 When using the sachet as intended, the uS reading quickly rose and rose
with no end in sight.  When I filled a plastic baggie with that calibration
solution and tried again, the reading quickly dropped and stabilized.

But since the original package had apparently contaminated the sol when the
electrical current from the meter hit it, the baggie test is worthless.
 Good Solution/ Bad sachet?

 Something is seriously wrong there.

 There is a table of uS to temperature relationships on the calibration sol
bottle.
 If the PWT is temperature compensated as claimed, why would this be relevent?
..and if it's not...?   No instructions concerning this that I have found.

On the other hand, the factory calibrations seem to be pretty consistant
over several years time. It "used" to be "certified" but isn't any longer.
 I seriously doubt that Hanna uses a calibration solution to adjust their
meters at the factory.

 PWTs are pretty good instruments but a calibration difference of +/- 4 or
5 uS, while probably not a big deal for their intended purposes and still
useful as a comparison between batches for a single individual, is a major
problem when people in different locations..measuring different things with
different meters...get riled up beause their meter isn't saying what they
think it should.

 I use an auto off that's keyed to a voltage/current/conductivity
relationship.  The CS always reads virtually the same uS at shutdown for
me, using my meter, regardless of which of many generators I used to make a
batch.
 But now and then, someone can't get a reading of more than 6 or 7 uS.  In
every case, they have recalibrated their meters.
 All I can tell them is send me your meter and I'll see if it reads the
same as mine in the same liquid.
 I STILL can't say which one is correct.
I can make their generator make their meter read anything they want it
to... and vise versa.

 I could make a batch and send it to Frank Key and get some numbers and
take those conductivity and total silver content numbers on sheer faith as
being correct.
 That might be useful, BUT, CS changes with time and I've had batches
change from absolutely colorless to pale yellow in transport with all that
vibration and temperature shifting while in airplanes.
 As we all know by now, agglomeration changes uS readings and they will
invariably drop a couple to several points overnight. [ total silver
content doesn't change]

 I have a big batch sitting here stabilizing now. In a week or so, I'll
send it to Frank.  Hopefully it won't change in transport and I'll be able
to tell smaller lies. [But I STILL may not know how big they are.]

 Another portion of the same batch will go to the local NCDNR water lab in
Raleigh NC [Depending on the state of my friendship with a receptionist
there who will sneak it through under the table because the NCDNR lab ONLY
does  state work and nothing for the public]
 This time, I'll ask what process they use to test it. [Maybe I should air
mail it to myself first?]

 Just before sending the samples off, I'll meter it with two PWTs.  One PWT
with the factory calibration and one that has been re-calibrated with the
'good'? calibration solution.

BTW, I won't be using that data to 'contest' Franks data because I still
won't know if either of them are correct if they are different, or which
one is correct.... if any of them are.

 Putting anyone 'on the spot' is not my intent.

Humm. I think there's enough to send some to Ole Bob too.

Thing is, till I get at least two people to agree on 'something',  No one
can claim anything.
 So far, no good.

Ode