Hi List,

Here's the info printed on a calibration solution bottle.

"HANNA Instrument's
CERTIFICATE OF ANALYSIS

Date 04/04/03
Ref .No:04D31
Product Name: Conductivity Solution 84 pS/cm @ 25°C
Product Code: HI7033M
Lot Number: 208
Manufacture Date: 04/04/03
Mean Value uS/cm: 84 +/- 0.5
Best Use Before: October 2005

Method of Standardisation: This quality product is standardised using a
conductivity meter, which is calibrated by means of standard solutions of
certified salt, sodium chloride, in deionized water.

Chemist
Davide Vianello
Hanna Instruments Italia s.r.l. Viale delle Industrie, 12/A
35010 Villafranca Padovana, Italy"

It seems to me they have done what needs to be done to assure the product is
usable.  They may have a Q.C. problem but I suspect it's not a serious one
since I've been using the different batches for about 5 years now and have
only found the one bad batch.  We cannot throw everything out just because
of that one bad batch....or should we?  It sounds to me as though that's
what Mike and Ken would have us do.  I think the solution is probably as
specified 84.0 +/- .5 uS "most" of the time and let's face it...a mistake
can be made by anyone.  I notified them of the anomaly and they immediately
tossed all batches from that lot.  Of course some did get into other hands
and was not tossed but the factory was given a heads up so hopefully it
won't happen again.

I hope this resolves the issue and we don't beat it further to death.  After
all, we are trying to get a fairly close reading of what we're making with
our generators and as Ken says, the meters are quite repeatable in their
reading.  And of course they beat using salt as a test instrument by
magnitudes.

Trem