What would happen if you 'seeded' a batch of CG with CS?

Ode

At 05:13 AM 3/12/2004 -0800, you wrote:

I just replied to a personal email with the question, how did you make CG and I thought I would pass it on to the list. Maybe someone could refine this process and take it to the OT list.

Reply:

Let me just say I know very little about electricity.

I followed the cleaning instructions on the back of a 15+ year old Sears electronic air purifier and pulled out the collection cell. The tab on one side of the collection cell butts up against the AC DC converter. There is an insulator between the converter and the contact point. The converter is bolted to the metal chasis.

I followed the two wires, one black, one white attached to one end of the converter. The white one led directly to the plug wire. The black one led to a wire harness that runs to the off, high, low switch with six pins. Four of the six wires plugged to the switch are black with one red and one white. The red and white wires went to the circulating fan motor. I marked their position and disconnected them.

I next used a red wire and a black wire with aligator clipped ends. The red wire I clipped to the insulated contact point on the converter. The black wire I clipped to a bolt that holds the converter to the metal chasis.

With the collection cell out and the fan disconnected I pushed the chasis back into the wooden box. This unit has a plunger type safety switch.

Here we go!

I hooked the red and black aligator clipped wires to my one quart CS maker, stood back and plugged it in. Nothing blew so I went and got my laser light. Only minutes went by and I shone the laser through the solution; a very strong beam. I unpluged the machine and tasted; it was strong, clear CS. Drank most of it and put 6 oz. aside for future reference; looks the same two years later.

I now know the machine works so I took a small gold panda and a fine gold ingot, probably 1/10 oz. and clipped them to the aligators. I taped the aligator wires to spring clipped clothes pins and rigged it over the one qt. jar.

I filled the jar with DW up to the ingot and round spaced about 1" apart and adjusted for eveness. I finished by adding more DW with a new turkey baster being carefull not to touch the aligator clips and turned it on.

Now, you must know that 1/8 or 1/10 oz. of gold with an aligator clip on it doesn't leave much gold in the solution. I had to add more DW about every other day to make up for normal water evaportation. This operation took about 5 weeks to turn lavender but I knew it was working as I could see tyndal after X number of days.

I've since bought 1/4 oz. rounds and plan to make it again seeding with my old solution. I'm sure wire would work better as there would be more wetted area but wire is out of my price range and I have time. I'll use a pint jar the next time.

I forget which wire busted the gold up but it did leave one piece tarnished. I suppose you could use silver or even stainless as one of the probes as long as you know which one is breaking up the gold.

Out of the qt. solution I have 8 oz. left so I must have consumed about 24 oz., 1 oz. a day and noticed no change in my mood. My mood was good to begin with; I just succeeded in making CG after 5 weeks.

I tried the microwave machine and although the microwave worked before I took it apart I couldn't make CS and when I put the microwave back together it was broke.

Good luck and despite what anyone says on the CS list, I know you can make CG with 6400 VDC @ 0.20 MA, it just takes time. I just looked at my other air purifier and it is 5500 VDC @ 0.30 MA dated 1989.

Michael