From what I've gathered on the subject from various searches:

Silver will cross the blood brain barrier. [ Has been found in the brains
of autopsied cadavers but not mentioned as a 'cause' of anything]

Silver has an affinity for damaged brain and nerve cells [is used in a
staining process to highlight damaged areas]

..which doesn't mean that the silver 'caused' the damage. It may have, in
fact, repaired or neutralized the damaged areas and any loss of function, a
matter of some other cause 'highlighted' by a silver deposit.
 It's a phenomenon that could easily be misinterpreted.

The plaques of Alzheimer's disease are seen here with a silver stain. Such
plaques are most numerous in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus. This
dementia is marked mainly by progressive memory loss.
http://medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/CNSHTML/CNS091.html

# Cerebrum, Alzheimer's disease, plaque, microscopic, Bielschowsky silver
stain
# Cerebrum, Alzheimer's disease, tangle, microscopic, H&E stain
# Cerebrum, Alzheimer's disease, tangle, microscopic, Bielschowsky silver
stain

This study combined a 3-dimensional imaging program with a cupric silver
stain for neuronal degeneration in order to determine the location and
extent of a focal lesion produced by MK-801 (dizocilpine maleate)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=10668993&dopt=Abstract

Ode