Tel,
Thanks for that. I have been compiling information on iodine content of foods ( I am very allergic) and sometime find things giving "iodide" content. I had been wondering what the difference was.
paula

Tel Tofflemire wrote:

IODINE, IODIDE, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Iodine is a basic element, as are calcium, zinc, oxygen and other elements. The word "iodine" usually refers to two iodine molecules chemically "stuck together" (I2), just as the word "oxygen" usually refers to two oxygen molecules "stuck together" (O2). Since iodine is more reactive, and therefore more likely to cause problems, iodine is usually used as "iodide", a word which refers to one iodine molecule combined with another molecule such as potassium (KI) or sodium (NaI).