Why do some people who never pay any attention to healthy living, live to
be very old with no medical problems?
 I think that  medicine, health and illness, all, are symbolic in nature.
 This would fit perfectly into the context of a symbolic reality.

Experience is real, the reality that experience takes place in isn't.
[Whatever you experience is irrelevant to the reality..sorta.]

Ode