Dirty grey [will probably turn black in a day or so]....Too much current
for the surface area of electrodes.
 If it's yellow, still somewhat too much current, heat and or made it too
strong for the setup.
 Most LEDs will burn out at over 20 milliamps.
 Put a potentiometer and ammeter in series with the LED

 About 1 milliamp or less per square inch of electrodes seems to do the best.

If I see any golden whisps coming off an electrode, I back off on the current.
 Pure white whisps is what I look for.

Ode