At 02:23 AM 7/15/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I cut and pasted this from another group. As a
>newbie to CS things like this really confuse me. I am
>not sure what to believe:
>

>One problem with using electralysis[sp?] to create
>"colloidal" silver,
>is
>that the solution tends to be ionic in nature.
** True..more ionic than particulate.

>Ionic silver is colorless.
**True

>It will combine with either HCl [hydrocloric acid] in
>the stomach or if
>it
>makes it that far
** True enough. Silver chloride is still a germ killer, just not as powerful a germ killer.

[by being absorbed in the GI tract
>or being
>administered
>subcutaneously] to make it into the blood stream, it
>will combine with
>potassium chloride or sodium chloride to form silver
>chloride.
** It's a bit unclear as to what happens to ionic silver and maye silver chloride in the bloodstream

>It is as a true colloidal which is dark yellow in
>color
**Not always true. While it's true that it's the colloid portion of an ion/particle mix that is responsible for any existing color, it doesn't have to have a color. It is harder to make strong EIS without color than it is to make it with color and the stronger it is, the harder it is.
, that silver
>has the
>antibacterial/healing properties.
** Both the particle and the ion has those properties. The ion has the most surface area and is probably, in itself, stronger. The only issue with that is keeping an ion 'in itself' under various conditions because it's highly chemically reactive. Some silver compounds will release metallic silver in the presence of iron. Blood has lots of iron in it. [Don't know what 'actually' happens there]

>Colloidal silver that has a high concentration of
>silver particles does
>not
>look like water because silver particles, even very
>small particles
>block
>light from passing through, making the liquid appear
>darker.
** True. Filling a jug with silver water that contains particles in a distilled water jug and comparing that to a jug of distilled water, the silver water will look darker even if it has no color at all.

>http://www.silver-colloids.com/Reports/reports.html
>

>Simple way to demonstrate the presence of ionic silver
>
>Here is a simple way to demonstrate ionic silver
>content. All that is
>required is that a chloride ion source to be added to
>a small amount of
>ionic silver. Normal table salt is sodium chloride
>(NaCl). When table
>salt
>is dissolved in water it dissociates into sodium ions
>and chloride
>ions. To
>demonstrate: Place a small amount (1-2 ounces) of
>ionic silver in a
>clear
>glass. Add a few grains of table salt. Observe that as
>the salt
>dissolves a
>white cloud of silver chloride forms in the solution.
>Eventually, the
>entire
>solution will turn cloudy. If more salt is added, the
>white silver
>chloride
>will become denser until all the silver ions have
>combined with the
>available chlorine ions. If no silver ions are present
>then no white
>cloud
>will form.
** True

>"Colloidal silver generators" sold to home hobbyists
>all produce ionic
>silver solutions.
** As do all electrolytic generators, home hobbiest or not. This is not to say that they don't also produce particule colloids as well. Generally the ratio is 80 to 90% ionic and 10 to 20% colloidal but the ratio can be higher without being colored. At over 20% it's most likely to have a color but can have a deep color at less than that. 3 PPM silver water can be yellow. 50PPM- 100PPM silver water can be colorless and 'can' stay that way, but tends not to.
The stronger you make it, the higher the particle to ion ratio, the less "likely" it will remain colorless.
The process can be tweeked to raise the odds of having a stable colorless silver water that's highly particlate at a given PPM.

Another myth is that electrically produced ionic/particulate silver water is light sensitive. It is not.
Silver chloride and silver carbonate [made with baking soda] is
.
Silver carbonate is also insoluable in water. Add a little vinegar and silver carbonate turns into silver acetate which is soluable, not light sensitive, has no color that I can see and drops out metallic silver in the presence of iron...but makes silver ions in hydrochloric acid that may, in turn, make silver chloride.
I don't know if silver chloride drops out metallic silver in the presence of iron or not...or if hemoglobin counts as a presence of iron.

Body chemistry is very complex and it's not well known what really happens to ionic silver in the end, but it does work...maybe -just as well as- small particle metallic silver, maybe not.
But a dead microbe is a dead microbe regardless of what race of silver warrior that killed it.

Ode