Having made CS that read low in uS and had high TE..but had virtually no
flavor, then making high uS and low TE with strong flavor..
 I think its ions we taste even if they're not 'free' ions.

 No, strong taste is not bad.  Nor is no or little taste.  It's more like a
sensual indicator that can work with the eyeball one to calibrate the
intuition.
 With all the doseing nonsense that's out there posing as knowledge,
intuition is what we wind up using anyhow whether we think we are or not.
ode