My son had what he thought was an infection on his finger.  Used neosporin
repeatedly on it, only to have it get worse.  (He resisted my herbal stuff
because, "What does Mom know?")

The dermatologist he finally consulted diagnosed it as an allergy to Neosporin
and told him it was fairly common.

S.
sol <sol...@sweetwaterhsa.com> wrote:
I think the amount of H202 one would add to EIS is small enough not
to be a problem even if one believes H202 is a problem. I myself still
believe straight 3% H202 is a perfectly good wound flush for immediate
first aid, and I would also have no hesitation to use it on an infected
wound where I wanted to debride the pus and infected cells off the
wound. It does kill new cells, but I personally never have continued to
use it on a non-infected healing wound, nor do I know anyone else who
has. I think perhaps they don't like peroxide because it is cheap and
effective?
With my mother who got many infected wounds on her legs in her last
couple years, she had this argument with the public health nurse and the
doctor several times. However, the "wound wash" and the neosporin they
always wanted to put on her wounds invariably let them become terribly
infected......so I don't know what the medical deal is, maybe just
drumming up business for abx prescriptions? Whatever, I was completely
underwhelmed by their alternatives to peroxide. However they were very
insistent that we not use it, to the point where both the Dr. and the
nurse became very angry. Had I known about EIS those days, I'd have used it.
So we just quit telling them what we were doing. God knows my mother
would probably have lost a leg, if I had let them treat her their way
only. I remember once the nurse washing a leg wound, and putting on
neosporin, they next morning it was unbelievably worse and inflamed.
They insisted I was wrong about the reaction to the neosporin. I would
clean the wound my way, and put on a vit e ointment (from a clean new
jar of ointment) and it would be better when the dressing was changed,
but the nurse would still be horrified that I had taken off her dressing
and re-done it, saying I was making things worse. FWIW, my mother is the
one who wanted peroxide used, as she said it was what she always used
and she never used to get infections from cuts and scratches.
Medical people see what they want to see, I guess. Sort of like the
rest of us, but then I know I saw what I saw....and my mom reported less
pain in the wounds when I took care of them, too.
I ended up feeling less respect for doctors and nurses than I had
ever had, and also believing one just has to try different things, and
stick with what works, no matter what the professionals say.
sol

William Amos wrote:

>Hello all:
>In the October-2004 issue of Readers Digest there is an article on " First Aid
>You Should Never Use".
>Included is the use of Hydrogen Peroxide. Dermatologist Robert Kirsner, a
>spokesperson for the American Academy of Dermatology mentions Hydrogen
>Peroxide, along with other medications can be toxic to skin cells, impeding
>healing and killing healthy cells.
>
>Does anyone have have information on mixing CS and H2O2
>as being safe to use either internally or externally ?
>
>Bill Amos

List maintainer: Mike Devour