There are a number of anti-viral herbs. I have used these three with
great success for fever blisters.

Olive Leaf
Hypericum (St John's wort)
Lomatium (a traditional flu remedy)

With herbs you may have to take them more often and in higher doses than
what can accomplish prevention before the fact.

Garnet