Evening Ode,

You made a lot of interesting points about instrumentation.

 >>But using conductivity to get PPM isn't exactly a valid way to do these
things anyhow.

   Seems this point has been made before, by you and others.

 It's just better than not being able to afford to do it right.

Without a federal grant, it is not economically feasible for most of us to implement this instrumentation, is that what you are saying?

 It's better to do the job relatively badly than not at all, I suppose.

   Only one small question.

Are there any steps between this low cost, ineffective attempt and the high dollar lab methods?

No matter how hard anyone tries, EC and ppm are not the same, and it is only a simulation. In some cases, it is not even that when dealing with nutrients.

We have had this same discussion thousands of time relative to plant nutrients.

Some people bet the crop on EC. While EC is important, I prefer to calculate the ppm based on weight of nutrients added to a specific volume of water. With recirculating systems, it will be changed in 24 hours anyway.

With a drip and drain to waste, a constant ppm can be maintained. Seems the environment people think we will destroy the earth by wasting a nutrient solution so weak that my dog drinks it. And I have too. It tastes lightly salty. Dogs seem to like salty foods almost as much as humans.

Possibly the rain is as bad on the earth as a well balanced nutrient solution. When every grass, weed, and tree, grows like crazy from the waste solution, how can it be so bad?

  Wayne

---