Antibiotics -- to Take or Not to Take? by David A. Holland, M.D.

I looked up antibiotics in Harrison’s Textbook of Internal Medicine. The
listing referred me to "antimicrobials." This caused me to realize how
much more accurately the second term describes these substances, given
the broad-spectrum nature of a lot of them.

I must confess that, as a doctor, I do prescribe "antimicrobials."
Perhaps I prescribe more antifungals and nonprescription remedies than
the usual doctor, but I do prescribe antibiotics, as well. Perhaps even
more horrifying, considering Doug’s articles condemning them, is that
I’ve taken them myself! In fact, in these times it’s a rare individual
who goes through life without ingesting those little pills. So, three
questions have become important -- when should you take antibiotics, when
should you refrain, and what will you do when you’ve already taken them?

Alexander Fleming, by the grace of God, brought us a mixed blessing in
1928 with his accidental discovery of penicillin produced by, of all
things, a fungus. Medicine’s interest treating people for exposure to
fungi dropped dramatically in succeeding years, until the microbes were
only thought important insofar as their ability to produce increasingly
diverse varieties of antibiotics.

Interest in fighting bacteria proliferated like a flesh-eating Strep
infection, fueling the race to discover ever more antibiotics.
Pharmaceutical salespeople invaded doctors’ offices and hospitals, intent
on convincing physicians their antibiotic was better than the others.
These salespeople supported their pitches with studies, graphs, charts
and convincing stats, while often failing to mention that their research
had been funded by their own companies. The possible conflict of interest
was, and remains, enormous.

I have no quarrel with such salespeople. They’re regular men and women
like you and me, just trying to make a living. However, when human lives
are involved, funding research to prove that your own product is better
than the competition’s is just plain wrong. The advantage is obvious, and
the danger that a great deal of objectivity could be lost is only all too
real.

I believe that an impartial, third party should be assigned to perform
such research, funded by a mandatory "ante" from all pharmaceutical
compan­ies involved in producing a given category of drug. Of course,
that will be the day! In case the above scenario never happens, we would
do well to take with several grains of salt the unregulated information
that companies provide about their own products.

Perhaps you are wondering about the use -- and abuse -- of antibiotics in
general. Let me give you an example. One of the most common diagnoses
given at a doctor’s office is the upper respiratory infection (URI). It
accounts for up to 70 percent of all antibiotics dispensed (Annals of
Internal Medicine. American College of Physicians. American Society of
Internal Medicine. March 20, 2001).

However, according to Dr. Carol Kauffman, most URIs are not caused by the
bacteria that antibiotics are designed to fight. Rather, Kauffman says,
they are caused by fungi. So, unless a secondary, bacterial infection
presents itself -- and even then, the rules change -- most URIs do not
require the use of antibiotics.

Regarding ear infections, in one study, children administered antibiotics
for acute otitis media suffered double the rate of adverse effects
compared to children in the study who took placebos (Clinical Evidence.
2000). The difference in outcome for those children in the study who took
antibiotics compared to those who do not was almost negligible. Some
scientists counter that children who take antibiotics run lower risks of
secondary ear infections such as meningitis or mastoiditis (infection of
the angular bone located behind your ear).

Of course, the landscape is complicated by noncompliance. The portion of
people who take their antibiotics as prescribed has been estimated at
anywhere between 8 to 68 percent. So it’s difficult to say just how
effective antibiotics actually are.

Now, say my daughter were to get sick for 10 days, miserable with a high
fever and screaming ear pain. Say our doctor said her ear canal checked
out as angry red. Am I going to have my daughter take the prescription?
Probably so. We cared for a young woman at the hospital where I worked
who was literally at her death bed with overwhelming Streptococcal --
bacterial -- pneumonia. One of her lungs was saturated with the
infection, which had also spread throughout her bloodstream.

I went on to my next rotation thinking that was the last I would hear of
that patient. However, I later spoke with her attending physician. He
told me she walked out of that hospital, completely cured. So,
antibiotics save lives, but it’s not exactly a common occurrence.
Certainly, most of you out there suffering from the common cold are not
near death, so you should think twice about taking antibiotics.

The non-synthetic antibiotics are fungal by-products called mycotoxins.
Penicillin is perhaps the best example. In other words, mycotoxins kill
off fungi’s competitors, allowing fungi to grab up all of the nutrients
for themselves. Alexander Fleming himself observed this in action, and it
later led him to develop penicillin. When a mold -- molds are fungi --
contaminated a bacteria colony upon which Fleming was performing an
experiment, the invader cleared the area around it of all bacteria. When
Fleming investigated, It turned out that the fungus had produced a
substance he would later call penicillin, killing the bacteria in
residence.

Just because they kill bacteria, you may be thinking, doesn’t mean that
some, many or especially all of the mycotoxins used as antibiotics are
necessarily harmful to human beings. A. V. Costantini in effect counters
this idea when he speaks of the work of two scientists by the name of
Bernstein and Ross. Costantini says that the men found that two or more
months of treatment with penicillin and other antibiotics contributed to
what they saw as a "significantly increased risk of non-Hodgkin’s
lymphoma in humans (Costantini, A. V. Fungalbionics. 1998)."

How many people, children included, have undergone dose after dose of
antibiotics for recurring infections? Doug and I believe that these
relatively small doses taken over long periods of time are actually
harming us in similar, incremental fashion, later showing up as cancer,
diabetes, vasculitis or other diseases.

We take antibiotics when we are sick, when our immune systems weaken. The
mycotoxins pharmacies dispense for use as antibiotics only exacerbate the
problem, because the lion’s share of these substances have been shown to
be immunosuppressants (CAST Report No. 116. November 1989.). Not only are
they capable of hamstringing our immune systems, they also destroy the
friendly bacteria that guard our intestines.

These friendly bacteria include Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidus and
Bulgaricus, supplements for which can be found in any health food store’s
refrigerated section. They protect us against pathogens such as
Salmonella, yeast, cholera, and the bad E. coli. They are so potent that,
prior a trip abroad, to protect yourself from traveler’s diarrhea you’d
do better to skip the usual antibiotics and instead take acidophilus
supplements.

Unfortunately, these good flora are so vulnerable to antibiotics that, in
mice, a "single injection of streptomycin can eradicate the protective
effect of the normal flora. (Mandell. Principles and Practice of
Infectious Diseases. 2000.)" And, once gone, these friendly bacteria are
replaced by hostile bacteria such as Pseudomonas, Clostridium, and
Klebsiella, and by Candida yeast, a powerful member of the fungi family.

So, we have the good and the bad regarding our chemical friends known as
antibiotics. They can "save the day" at times, but they have ruined them
at others -- just ask any woman with a yeast infection or look at any
baby who suffers from thrush. You should know that, even should you just
say "no" when your doctor moves to prescribe antibiotics for you,
theoretically speaking you may still be taking them with every bite of
steak and pork you eat.

That’s because more antibiotics per pound are used on livestock than in
human medicine. How much of those antibiotics are passed on is difficult
to determine, but the mere possibility of this kind of thing is certainly
a worry.

Our goal in this book is to educate you and to help you make informed
decisions. Some final, simple tips follow:

An ounce of prevention.... Exercise, eat intelligently and take a few
supplements. Avoid alcohol, smoking, and recreational drugs. Get some
rest once in a while. Pray.

Despite our best efforts, most of us will get sick at some point and
decide to go see a doctor. If you are a stubborn, married man, your wife
will likely make the appointment for you.

Ask Questions. If your doctor diagnoses you with an upper respiratory
infection, sore throat (in which the strep test is negative), bronchitis,
sinusitis, or ear infection, and you wonder if you really need an
antibiotic, make a point of asking her about it. A lot of physicians
would be pleasantly surprised that one of their patients would even
consider trying to recuperate without antibiotics. Ask if you can treat
your condition symptomatically and come back or call in a couple of days
if you are not better.

If your questions annoy your doctor, then get another doctor. After all,
you pay the bills, either directly or out of your paycheck in the form of
insurance, and you deserve adequate treatment. On the other hand, if you
feel you, in fact, do need an antibiotic and your doctor disagrees, try
to work a deal in which she will prescribe an antibiotic for you if you
don’t feel better in a couple of days. I learned an important lesson
about this kind of disagreement during college, on a visit to the
infirmary. The doctor there refused to give me an antibiotic for a URI
I’d come down with. I had to suppress my anger at what I saw as arrogance
on his part, but lo and behold, he was right. I got better without the
pills I’d been sure I’d needed. I think a lot of people tend to
underestimate their bodies’ healing abilities, in much the same way as I
did. That’s just one reason why doctors are oftentimes in a better
position to make the call as to whether or not to prescribe.

Take an objective look at yourself and your life-style. If you keep
coming down with the same thing, do some research and a little thinking.
Do you drink a lot of soda? Do you smoke? Are you taking antibiotic after
antibiotic and now have a secondary yeast or fungal infection? How is
your spiritual life? Your stress level? The point is, myriad factors
contribute to "wellness."

As far as chronic sinus infections go, Johns Hopkins researchers are now
saying most such conditions are caused by a fungus. So, if you do have
chronic sinusitis, stop taking antibiotics, get on an antifungal diet,
and ask your doctor for antifungal medications. If your doctor refuses,
visit a health food store for natural, off-the-shelf antifungals such as
olive leaf extract, garlic, and Caprylic acid.

Once you improve, make sure you go back and let your doctor know how
things worked out. Chances are she is neither experienced nor comfortable
with prescribing antifungal medication. Your story may convince her to do
her own research, the first step to changing her treatment philosophy.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to convince your doctor to let you try a
prescription of nystatin. As one of the better gut antifungals, nystatin
is also remarkably safe and free of side-effects.

If you’ve decided to go ahead and take an antibiotic:

Get the facts. Ask your doctor how many days you must take the antibiotic
and if you, in fact, do need the latest, most powerful one on the market.
Simple urinary tract infections are now treated with only three days of
antibiotics. Sinus infections, bronchitis, and ear infections in children
over two years of age can be treated with as few as five days of
antibiotics, new or old, generic or name brand. This may not be possible,
however, if you have other medical conditions or if you smoke.

Build trust. Commit to the full course of the antibiotic unless you
experience significant side effects or an allergic reaction. You sought
medical advice and agreed to the prescription. You will build trust with
your doctor if you work as a team. This trust will be very important once
you see number 3 below.

Take an antifungal with the antibiotic. For example, you could ask your
doctor for a prescription of nystatin to take during the course of your
antibiotic. Many dermatologists do this when prescribing long-term
antibiotic courses for acne. I suggest adults take two tablets twice a
day -- 1 cc of suspension twice a day for children -- to prevent yeast
overgrowth in your intestines. Most cases of upset stomach or diarrhea
that kick in a few days of beginning a round of antibiotics can be cured
with a single dose of the drug. Diarrhea after a two-week round of
antibiotics is likely caused by a different bug altogether -- be sure to
bring that to your doctor’s attention.

I should tell you that, in my clinical practice years, many of my
patients made great strides against acne through taking nystatin and a
change in diet alone, without the antibiotics.

Supplement your intake. Take an antioxidant supplement, one which
includes vitamin E, zinc, selenium, vitamin C, and vitamin A, among
others. According to A.V. Costantini, all antioxidants are antifungal.
(Costantini. 1998.)

Keep your bowels moving. If antibiotics kill off your friendly,
intestinal bacteria, once you cease taking antibiotics you’ll run a
higher risk of infection by other, more hostile bacteria. These bacteria
will be quick to find and exploit pockets of debris that could be
collecting and putrefying in your intestines if you happen to become
constipated. So, be sure to keep your digestive tract as clear as
possible until you can repopulate it with friendly bacteria. Psyllium
hulls fiber from your local health food store is the best, bulk fiber to
use, as long as you don’t have a history of intestinal obstruction.
Psyllium not only relieves constipation. It also slows diarrhea by
absorbing excess water.

Replace the good bacteria in your intestines. Supplement with an
acidophilus supplement for a few weeks following any course of
antibiotics. Do not take these simultaneously with your antibiotic, or
you will simply end up with a lot of very dead, albeit still friendly
bacteria in your intestines. At the very most, take acidophilus
supplements either in between antibiotic doses or after you have
completely finished your prescription.

Look back at why you became ill to begin with. I once suffered from strep
throat after indulging in half a box of chocolates. That should have come
as no surprise. Who wouldn’t be crippled by that amount of garbage? More
than likely, you have your own experience regarding similar binges. My
point is, diet plays at least as much a role as actual exposure to germs
as to whether we get sick -- when we are healthy and eating correctly,
our bodies are amazingly resistant to infection.

One, last note: Please ignore advertisements that recommend guzzling
orange juice for the vitamin C it contains. A big dose of sugar is what
you’d actually be getting. I have heard more than a few patients note
that once they felt they were coming down with something, they
immediately began downing glass after glass of orange juice, only to get
even sicker. They concluded that they must not have caught the illness in
time, which couldn’t have been any further from the truth.

The truth is, they simply fueled the fire of their infections with lots
of sugar, all because they trusted a corporation’s advertisement to
educate them about proper healing strategies. If you want that much
vitamin C, you will be perfectly fine taking it in the 1,000 mg pill form
a few times a day. As far as fluid requirements are concerned, your body
is 70 percent water -- and that is exactly what it needs!