David Osbourne has posted some superb information here about antibiotics and I and others are certainly much obliged for this. Regarding the following section, I have one comment:

A simple and very low-cost probiotic known as EM-1 is well worth the time to learn about. I have posted perviously links to some useful sites; check the archives. A quick refresher:

EM -- essential microorganisms -- are most widely used in agriculture. They are not approved for human use and one takes them at one's own risk. I have done so for several years after learning how to make EM in Japan. I am not an MD and can not recommend EM; readers must use their own judgment.

A chief advantage in making one's own EM Extension is low cost. A liter of EM costs about twenty dollars at the current exchange rate. I mix 100 cc of EM, 100 cc of molasses, and and 1800 cc of water in a two-liter pet bottle. I wait a few weeks, and I have a mixture very close to the original EM. Ideally, one keeps the brew at a warm temperature during this time, but in truth one gets an acceptable brew even at room temperature, provided one starts with warm water to get the whole process started.

I believe that EM creates a beneficial internal environment in the human intestines, and can be especially useful in one is concerned about deficient intestinal flora, as Mr. Osbourne has described. I will stop here, and recommend again that anyone interested in this topic educate himself/herself, and also join the free yahoo EM health group. (em-hea...@yahoogroups.com)

The moderator is a man named Vinny Pinto, who has provided countless pages of free information. He also has an extensive and detailed e-book for sale, but one need not purchase this to get all the essential information -- it really is free online.

For those on a budget needing probiotics,  EM may be one good answer.

em-hea...@yahoogroups.com

Thanks