Just a note.......for other sufferers of venous stasis.  I am
of a genetic disposition....via my father....for venous stasis (primarily
because of dilation of the veins/valves resulting from the loss of lean muscle
tissue covering/stabiliation}-----and have found a simple, inexpensive
supporting protocol for SIGNIFICANTLY reducing edema in the lower
extremities.....even the feet.  This modality involves nothing more complicated
than the use of
a good, surgical weight, support hose (20 to 30 mm compression in my case).  I
have used a number of different suppliers involving costs from about $18.00 to
$60.00 per pair.  The best results from the more expensive suppliers have been
equalled by purchasing a generic equivalent manufactured by an American company
named Ames Hosiery.  This is not an endorsement for these people over
others....just a synopsis of my personal experience.  My recommendation is to
acquire the "thigh length, closed toe" style.  Also, unless you are suffering
from severe
varicosities....obtain sizes one measure "larger" than the actual calf-sizes
reflecting in the size charts.  Two reasons for this:  the hose will last
considerably longer;  and one can tolerate too-low compression, much better
than too-high.
                  My personal protocol involves putting on the hose at arising
in the morning and removing them at bedtime.  The horizontal position of sleep
allows the venous return blood to readily move back to the heart.....even if
one suffers from "noticeably-leaky" vein valves.  During the daytime, given the
opportunity, I elevate my legs to the highest position "convenience and
common-courtesy" allow.  The ideal relative position is having the feet on a
level horizontally equal to that of the heart.....this facilitates the easiest,
most effective return scavenging of the venous blood.  Do remember that the
edema presenting in the lower extremities is, essentially, the result of
incomplete closure of the vein valves....resulting in distension, increased
local volume, followed by fluid migration into the adjacent tissues surrounding
this event.  The compression hose act as a quite effective substitute for the
lost "surrounding lean-muscle tissue"----which in turn, facilitates a more
complete closure of the vein valves.....and, consequently, an effective
reduction in a majority of the edema formerly presenting.  Do recall, sitting
in a chair with the knees conventionally bent is the WORST configuration for
venous stasis sufferers;  standing, without movement is the NEXT worst.
Walking is the most preferable configuration, as this facilitates the natural
pressure transfers required to properly scavenge the return blood supply back
to the heart......there is NO PRESSURE PUMP on the venous side of the
dardio-vascular system.
            I consider the fact than a majority of allopathic physicians  are
so reluctant to recommend this protocol to Diabetic sufferers, to be criminal.
Their lame excuses revolve around contentions that the poor lower-extremity
circulation would be exacerbated by encapsulating pressure devices-----a
patently absurd assumption....flying in the face of common sense.
             I must close this epistle.....now that I have exploited this
opportunity to vent-my-spleen on this subject.
              In closing I say that this simple address has increased my
personal comfort and well-being......immeasurably.
                       Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.