Re: CS>basic dumb question
From: Ode Coyote
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:28:31
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m78900.html

  > Isn't silver hydroxide white?

  > Ode

  You might  be thinking of silver chloride, AgCl, which is  white but
  turns black when exposed to light.

  The oxide  that  collects  on the electrodes is  black,  but  it can
  appear brown  when diluted in dw. You can barely make out  the color
  in these photos of misting:

  http://www.utopiasilver.com/images/gen3.jpg

  and

  http://www.silverpuppy.com/resource/ionpud1.jpg

  Silver hydroxide  (AgOH)  decomposes around 100C,  and  silver oxide
  (Ag2O) decomposes around 310C. I hope put some on a hot  plate today
  or tomorrow and will report the results.

  I'm pretty  sure it will turn out to be silver  hydroxide,  since it
  decomposes easily  under  the  pressure of  wiping  and  forms shiny
  elemental silver. Everyone has seen this in their 3 nines unit.

Regards,

Mike Monett