Ode Coyote wrote:

>   I've seen the silver smearing off either electrode [should be just one,
> right?]
>
> Anyhow, you can buy  Silver Hydroxide Reagent? and it's described as a
> white powder, virtually insoluable in water.

Where? It is not in my Acros chemical book, and I cannot find a CAS number for
it.  I have been looking for this for months now and have come up empty handed.

>  There is a white powdery deposit that appears now and then under certain
> conditions.
>  If the electrodes are very close to the bottom and no stirring is used,
> you get that white deposit on one side, a black spot on the other side
> under the electrode that turns black and shiny metallic plateout in between.

Does that happen when ppm goes beyond 10 or so? I believe the solubility is low,
but between 10 and 20 ppm (which many chemists call insoluable).

Marshall