Mike Monett wrote:

> [...]
>   > ions of silver.
>
>   > If he  also  tested  for  silver as  a  metallic  particle  or the
>   > presence of  silver in any other form, I don't know and  he didn't
>   > say.
>
>   > That in itself is a bit of a strange ommission.
>
>   > Ode
>
>   For those unfamiliar with ISE's, here is an excellent introduction
>
>   "A guide to ion selective measurement"
>
>   http://www.tecservice.com.ar/Documentos/folletos/Gumedicislectivo.pdf
>
>   Trem posted  a  brief review of Ivan's  comments  on  Roger Altman's
>   study on  what  happens  to colloidal  silver  after  it  enters the
>   bloodstream:
>
>   --------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Here's what Ivan had to say on the subject some time ago.
>
>   "Well, I  was  bound to comment on the  ionic  vs  elemental colloid
>   thread eventually...
>
>   "Firstly the idea that silver ions precipitate out in the alimentary
>   tract, and  never make it to the blood stream, is  pure speculation.
>   This theory  is  most  eloquently proposed  by  Purest  Colloids who
>   market a product of high elemental colloid percentage.
>
>   "However the  theory,  I  believe, is  pretty  much  debunked  by an
>   article which  is (ironically) found on the  Purest  Colloids sister
>   web site:
>
>   http://www.silver-colloids.com/Papers/AltmanStudy.PDF
>
>   "This study was written by Roger Altman (who used to grace this list
>   with his not inconsiderable presence) and details the elimination vs
>   ingestion of what would be a high ionic percentage CS. He found that
>   pretty much  what  is ingested is what comes out,  and  that  a high
>   percentage comes  out in the urine. Now these ions did not  get into
>   the urine  by  precipitating  out and  not  getting  into  the blood
>   stream, obviously the blood stream is exactly where they ended up.
>
>   "The fact  that  a high percentage of ingested ions  emerged  in the
>   urine also suggests that little is bound in the tissues (at least in
>   this case) which further suggests that in order to  develop argyria,
>   a large  amount  of silver must be  consumed,  and/or  specific (and
>   unusual?) circumstances are present, such as deficiencies in vitamin
>   E and/or selenium (or perhaps overdose of selenium, as  suggested by
>   some research).
>
>   [...]
>
>   http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m71527.html
>   --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   Many people use sublingual absorption, then spit the cs out.  I find
>   this to  be  an  extremely  effective way  of  getting  cs  into the
>   bloodstream. Since  it  is   not   swallowed,  it  cannot  enter the
>   alimentary tract and be eliminated. It has to exit via the urine.
>
>   So if  Frank  coudn't  find the ions, it  may  be  a  measurement or
>   instrumentation problem. They are definitely present in the blood.

How on earth do you reach that conclusion. I have already outlined how
ionic silver most likely works when ingested, silver hydroxide -> silver
chloride -> (maybe ammonial silver complexes) -> silver particles.

That study you reference gives results for silver elimination, it does not
differentiate if the silver that is being eliminated is ionic (a compound),
or colloid.  If it is a colloid as my analysis indicates it should be then
I would expect that there would be no ionic in the blood, and that it would
be eliminated by the kidney and would be detected by Roger's research.
There is nothing inconsistant here. Other possibilities are that the silver
is chelated or binds with a protein, both of which I believe would cause it
to not be sensed with an ion specific probe, but would still be eliminated
by the kidneys in one form or another and deteced by Roger.

Marshall