Wayne Fugitt wrote:

> Evening Marshall,
>
> >I believe that the low voltage is normally in the range of 9 to 50 volts
> >DC.  HVAC is nomally in the range of 8 to 12 KV AC.
>
>    Has no one used higher DC voltage?   Seems Terry C.  uses 100 or 110 VDC.
>
> It would be easy to use a few hundred or even a few thousand DC volts.

I think the reason is that to make good EIS one needs to control the current,
and keep it at around 1 mA per square inch.  Typically once the ppm gets up to a
few ppm, the voltages necessary to maintain this current are in the 10-20 volt
range.  Higher voltages may be good for starting the batch quicker, but then
regulating the current with high voltages become a more difficult affair.  I
personally prefer using a pump and flow the water through a jug that is
maintained at the final ppm of the product, and the voltage necessary for 1 mA
per square inch is below 20 volts.

> I still have a few transformers around that deliver 5000 volts.  Of course
> all the components would have to be selected with the proper voltage rating.
>
> Seems if one was going to do volume production, a few thousand volts DC
> would be ideal, as a choice if they did not want to get into the HVAC.

Not really, you need current, not voltage (not counting the HVAC method where
the high voltage is essential to move the ions quickly enough away from the
electrodes to not form huge particles, or get sucked back in on the next half
cycle).  For more capacity, you increase the area of the electrodes. I have a
system that produces about a gallon an hour of 20 ppm EIS using LVDC, or about
3.5 gallons an hour of 5 ppm which I described in an earlier post.  This is
almost exactly the same rate of production I get from my hvac system using 120
mA and 10 KV.

Marshall