starshar wrote:

From: "sol" <sol...@sweetwaterhsa.com>

I still prefer lavender essential oil. It doesn't have the photosensitizing effect of lemon essential oil. Of the citrus oils, I believe grapefruit oil is the only non-photosensitizing one. Eucalyptus oil can be very irritating to the skin. Eucalyptus radiata is the preferred oil according to Patricia Davis (Aromatherapy: An A-Z) because it does not irritate skin or mucous membranes.

Lavender oil (I am reminded this year because we have huge numbers of gnats, flies this year) does not keep the bugs from 'buzzing' you, so they still annoy, but do not bite. Best and longest lasting repellancy is with an oil dilution, diluted in water (I use CS) it must be applied more frequently.
sol

Since I had Lyme disease 4 years ago, I tend to get a bit fanatic when taking the pooch out and about. Lots of grass, trees, marshy area here, and loaded with deer and mosquitos, gnats and any/everything else. On my way out the door, I grab the cheapest peppermint or tea tree oil I can find. (I save the 'good' stuff for for everything else). I've thrown one or both into a small mister bottle of water, but sometimes I just pour some drops on my hands and rub them around all over. I pay special attention to my always bare feet and legs, finishing off by going over my arms, neck and ears. If I use the mister, it goes all over. Since I've been doing this for the past 3 years I haven't had one bite nor found any ticks going along for the ride. I accidentally found a way to tick-proof the dog as well. I had some YL Lavendar shampoo and used it for her late spring bath. No more ticks on a dog that used to have 4-5 a week! Totally unexpected benefit.

Sharon

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>