Hi Duncan,

You think N-A-C (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) would be useful?
I heard that is a cystine containing compound, and at
one time, it was purported to be helpful to those with
emphysema, but then that was retracted because they
couldn't agree on whether it really reduced mucous or
not.

I guess I can look into the selenium and vitamins.
She already takes a daily multivitamin, with fair
amounts of common vitamins and minerals. It's not
flintstones vitamins or some garbage like that, and it
has no artificial anything in it. But I don't remember
if it has selenium.

I've used Omega 6 Borage oil before for gum
inflammation and I know that stuff works for
inflammation. Do you think that would be useful?

Part of the problem to is that it is hard to get her
to take some medicines consistently. She can't figure
out how to swallow capsules yet, and thay would be so
helpful if she would, because so many of the herbs,
vitamins, etc, are just plain nasty tasting, and often
are not concealable.

-Ken

====================

    * From: Duncan Crow (view other messages by this
author)
    * Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:48:39

> My little girl has for the past 36 hours of
> so been coughing and wheezing and short of breath,
and
> the albuterol we are currently giving her
(temporarily
> until I get a nebulizer and some CS) is barely
> working.  I beginning to wonder if the ionizers are
at
> fault.
> -Ken

Ken, before you blame the ionizer, which has not been
linked to
problems, take look at a probable antioxidant
deficiency. The lungs
are the third biggest users of the antioxidant enzyme
glutathione
after the liver and kidneys.

The rate-limiting factor in glutathione production is
cysteine,
actually as cysteine-containing amino acid peptides,
not as a free-
form amino acid. The peptides happen to be in short
supply in the
diet, as is drinking water selenium in most areas.
Selenium is used
to make one form of glutathione, and it is low or
absent in many
areas and it's also depleted by arsenic in drinking
water, a
combination that can easily exacerbate a depleted
antioxidant pool.

The proof is in the pudding though, and I've seen
people who were on
oxygen for COPD for example not require it anymore.
They reduced the
irritating toxins, thus the mucous problem and
inflammation, with
cold-processed whey, selenium, and the antioxidant
vitamins C, E, A,
and a b-complex. Further gains could probably have
been made with
other antioxidants and cod-liver oil, an
antiinflammatory.

The other thing to look up is insufficient nitric
oxide production in
the lungs. It is important for microcapilliary
circulation and when
there's enough you get less swelling. There's probably
enough
arginine in the cold-processed whey but some people
get good results
with Noni. Although I no longer sell Noni products I
think a lot of
Noni and Nitric Oxide science is still on my web site.

Duncan

http://mail.yahoo.com