  From: Teri Johnston
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 10:39 AM
  Subject: Re: CS>veterinary questions

  Bob,

  Here is a quote from the OK State Veterinary site

    Haemobartonella species are parasites of canines, felines and rodents. H.
canis is an epierythrocytic rickettsial parasite . The organism occurs on RBCs
with latent infections being common. The organism appears as chains across the
surface of the infected cell or as small dots, rods or rings. Transmission is
mainly by the brown dog tick with both transstadial and transovarial
transmission occurring. Most natural infections in dogs do not develop into
clinical problems but when they do occur they are usually associated with a
developing anemia. Diagnosis is based on microscopic identification of
peripheral blood smears. Treatments similar to that used for canine
ehrlichiolsis involving tetracycline, oxytetracycline, etc. Antibiotic therapy
probably does not eliminate the organism completely form infected dogs.

  Teri