For those considering this amalgam removal procedure:

Don't enter this process blindly on just the advice of this list. (Although
it's good advice.) There are a couple of good books/booklets on the subject
(but I have no titles now) which give that good advice.

You want a dentist who is familiar with the procedure, because there are risks
to him as well as you.  These are the minimal requirements:

1. A dental dam at all times (to prevent amalgam particles from going down your
throat).

2. Extensive ventilation:  Because the process spins off billions of amalgam
particles into the atmosphere, they can pollute the ambient air and be inhaled
by all present, including the dentist and his/her assistant.

3. Extra-heavy ventilation of your mouth:  While this process is underway, you
have to breath, and the air you breath is going to be polluted with amalagam
particles, so the more pure air you can have forced into your presence, the
better.  This is sometimes achieved with #2.

Don't be afraid of the Mexican dentists on the border.  They are very
user-friendly, competitive in education and procedures, very competitive in
skills and pricing, and love the American patient.  A visual inspection, as
Jill recommended, is mandatory.

Plan on spending a day or two on the border while you're having this done.  You
will enjoy your exposure to Mexican culture while you are getting your
poisonous fillings removed.  You may not be able to get all done in one visit,
(they'll do uppers one day, lowers the next) to limit their/your exposure to
mercury dust.

Hope this helps...Bill