In my experience with galvanic shocks between amalgam fillings and a gold crown, the only time I felt the shock was when the teeth surfaces touched each other. And I never had any period when the teeth could touch without a shock. It was quite painful, and the pain echos would last a long time. My dentist, luckily had no trouble believing me.
sol

Lea Ann wrote:

These shocks happen about 6-10 times an hour and when one hits I am in a great deal of pain. They last for probably a fraction of a second but they really, really hurt. This will go on for 24-48 hours, even through the night, then go away. These episodes come on about once a month.