I'd apply EIS and DMSO. Doesn't really need to be much more than 10% DMSO, but could go higher if tolerated. Several times a day. Could also use a DMSO gel with MSM.

I've always been told you ice such an injury the first 24-48 hours at least. Applying heat too soon increases pain and swelling. (I have personal experience of that!).
sol

Linda Ellis wrote:

Okay, this may be OT, but there are so many holistic types out here, I'm betting someone has some ideas! I'm looking for ideas to help my husband with what we are pretty sure is a broken toe. No point going to the ER with it - they'll give him a boot and send him home.

I want to make him more comfortable, and try to get the swelling down (he hit his toe over 24 hours ago, so we're doing heat to promote healing).