I have on on my thumb, and my wife has on on her wrist. Both of ours are
Ganglions Cysts.  Fortunately mine is not sore, but unfotrunately Donna's is.
Is it hard, or spongy (actually Ganglion Cysts can be either).  If you press
on it a bit, will it go down, or does it tent to inflate and deflate at
different times. If it does it is almost certainly a Ganglion Cyst.

However if the joint is causing the finger to distort into a dirction it
should not be going, that does sound like an arthritic problem.  Either way
you may want to get it evaluated by a doctor.

Marshall