I can tell you this: many Japanese hemophiliacs, including many who have died from AIDS, were infected with HIV by using unheated blood products imported from the USA. At the time, heated products were available, but unsold unheated products were imported and sold for reasons of profit. Those who used heated products were not infected with HIV and did not develop AIDS.

This is well-documented and has been a topic in mainstream news in Japan for many, many years. There was even a lengthy trial of an elderly MD who was clearly responsible for the disaster but was never convicted; he became senile and died first.

Bottom line: an identifiable group of persons was infected with HIV from unheated blood products; those who used heated products were not infected. Heating killed the infectious agent, which is almost certainly HIV.

I have no reason to doubt the existence of HIV or the claim that it is the primary cause of AIDS.

As for Dr. Gallo, I read recently that he himself is suffering from cancer, alas.