I have listened to this idea of Ni outgassing from SS for a long. It is my humble opinion that it just doesn't make sense. And, I haven't ever seen anyone offer proof of what is being said.

There are two main types of SS Austenitic, Martensitic. The others are specialized and not likely to be used in cookware.

Austenitic is *not* hardenable by heat treatment (usually 600-800F), but is workhardenable. Non-magnetic. Usually what is used for cookware.

Austenitic or 300 series stainless steel is typically used for cookware (302/304 = 8/10.5% Ni).

Martensitic is hardenable by heat treatment. With the exception of one grade (410S = 0.20/0.55% Ni), has NO nickel, but isn't generally used for cookware. Magnetic.

Some additional facts:

Melting points:

Aluminum: 1220F
300 Series SS: 2550F
Nickel: 2647F

Now, being logical, if you are going to outgas a component of a SS allow, then you have to get the pan-food boundary temperature up to a high enough temperature to do that. In my cooking experience, the highest temperature you could reasonably expect to achieve at the pan-food boundary would be ~400F using virgin coconut oil. Probably ~375F with peanut oil.

At those temperatures, the SS alloy isn't even close to being changed. If you want to have some effect on the SS, you are going to have to push the pan-food boundary temperature beyond the melting point of Aluminum..and if you were able to do that while cooking something, then the oil would ignite and all hell would break loose, not to mention the pan having a beautiful glowing deep red color. And your food wouldn't taste very good either<g>.

Even at the pan-heat boundary, if you were getting near temperatures which *might* have some effect on the SS alloy, you would find at minimum, your SS pan having turned blue.

I can smell un-seasoned cast iron, can't eat food cooked in it. Same is true for un-seasoned aluminum. If I touch brass, I have to wash my hands, the smell is nasty. Same is true of aluminum, iron. A new gold crown takes at least three months for me to stop tasting it, an amalgam filling, a year (don't do those anymore<g>).

My point is, I am sensitive to metals and all I use are seasoned is SS, cast iron is too much trouble. I am unable to smell or taste anything from SS, even after scouring it. Subjective, yes but I have seen nothing objective, yet.

I have checked the internet but find nothing.

So, if anyone out there has any kind of definitive test showing that Ni outgasses from SS alloy cookware, I would love to see it, but metallurgically it seems to me more like an urban legend.

Regards,

Craig