Ole Bob, I am sure I've had this dread condition in my history of silver
production...but what is and how do I know I have "agglomeration setting in"?
I think I feel a little in my knees and lower back right now!

It is when the smaller silver particles come together to make larger clumps? of
silver particles?  not silver oxides, etc? And thus less desirable.  Doesn't
stirring help with that by making a more even distribution in the generator?

I am familiar with visually monitoring my brew as I've been adjusting voltage
to slow the process for awhile. But of course I still watch for the hairy greys
on the cathode - which I do get occassionaly. But they are so fine they settle
down to dust on the bottom when done (a waste yes, but still nice end product
for stone age tech, me thinks). Not entirely sure what they are?  silver ions
and hydrogen? I am hoping the diode will allow my system to get up to the
"limit" without me having to guess and ratchet it down manually.

Forgive me for the possible mix-up, but I know that you have recently wrote a
book on the subject....it is Ode that sells the generator with the magnetic
stirrer? right? It is the 3 "O's" that gets me... Ole, Ode, and my getting
Older.  I've been a member of this list for awhile, but read and write with
variable frequency.  Of late I've read most or all of the posts....stainless v.
aluminum...what about cast iron?

Max

Robert Berger <bober...@swbell.net> wrote: Max,

  PAGE 23 of my book on making silver solutions has a data plot the shows what
happens when a constant current system is left un-attended.

  Current limiting is based on the area for the positive anode only. You cannot
use 1 ma diodes for everything. If your anode has 12 sq in of wet area then you
need to limit at 12 ma.

  Current limiting is NOT the panacea for all ills. You still have to monitor
the voltage or conductance to see when agglomeration is setting in !!!!!!

  "Ole Bob"

Yahoo! Mail