Steve,

Do some Googling and you will find lots of information.

The best machines are made in Japan, and here have gotten rather cheap over the years -- $300 to $500 on average.

I've had one machine for many years; typically they are durable and well-made, with excellent filters. National is one of the most popular brands. (Matsushita Denki.)

I just Googled a bit and found that Ray Kurzweil -- a very smart guy in my book -- advocates the water. See:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/ref/raymond_kurzweil

You can find some useful information also from one of Vinny Pinto's pages. Google his name and you can find it. He believes the main benefit of the water is from "hydrogen radicals." This is arcane science and a bit over my head, but I think Pinto is probably correct on the main points. See:

http://www.h-minus-ion.org/

I subscribe to one of this fellow's news groups, but can't wholeheartedly recommend others do so because often messages I post don't appear for some reason, and because many flames directed at members come, incredibly, from the moderator himself.

We're lucky on this list to have such a moderate moderator!

JBB