sorry, I meant 3 weeks total; once I started the showers it was over in 3 days. After that episode I only used hot water to cure all my poison ivy interactions.......nothing else at all. This case was so bad that the doctor put it in his medical journal and got all the information he could from me about how I got it...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tad Winiecki" <winie...@pacifier.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:51 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Poison Ivy

Charles- If you read my post about my experiences that getting PI wet
spreads and increases the reaction, then you would understand why your
experience with the hot showers took 3 weeks to resolve, whereas mine after
I learned to keep the rash very dry took only a few days.  It's truely
painful though, I had to sleep with ice packs on my stomach for a few days
when I had the bad case similar to yours in extent.

Nancy

- ----------------------------
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:55:34 -0400
From: "Charles  Sutton" <cds...@earthlink.net>
I contracted poison ivy when I was about 6 years old.  Got it only on one
hand.  That hand swelled up to over twice normal size.  The doctor at that
time told Mom and Dad to soak it in epsom salts in water at hot as I could
stand it. The hot water is the only relief I got.....and it was time alone
that actually did the healing..

Many years later I was hiking through the Ocala Forest in Florida, and cut a
staff with a fork at the end for use as a snake stick, just in
case........It was hot summertime and I wiped the sweat off my face and body with my hands. Turned out that the stick was Poison Sumac. The same as Ivy (urushiol). of course I also had to pee on that trip. The long and short of it was since I skinned the stick and put it over my shoulders I got that oil EVERYWHERE. This time the doctor put me on prednisone. (he said that was all we had for such a serious case) The pred cost about 90.00 for 2oz jar.
It did work some, but I finally remembered the hot water treatment, and
started hot showers, as hot as I could stand it...It felt wonderful!
I got the only good nights sleep in a week with the showers. I had to have one every 2 to 4 hours. I told the doctor about it, and he said and I quote
"Don't do that; please don't do that" with no other explanation..... of
course I continued because it was the only releif I could find......again,
only time finally did the curing....about three weeks.....