There we get into a catch 22.
You can make a generator with nothing more than two clip leads, a single 9v battery and some silver wire.
 It will work and make CS.
 But...
To get a handle on the process so you have some idea 'what' you are making takes monitoring instruments, a control or two helps and some understanding of how to hook them up and use them [not expensive or "hard" for a somewhat learn-ed individual who can tell the difference between parallel and series circuits]..and you STILL have to customize the readouts, plot charts and exactly repeat the setup as EVERYTHING involved is inter-dependent.
..then watch it for a 'while'
It can take a very long time and I've forgotten to, more than once. [ I tend to wander away. It's like watching grass grow. ]

Very observant [and patient] people can do it by seat of the pants without instruments and get close enough to 'use' CS successfully in the real world of 'eyeballs and taste buds get you to the ballpark where things make little difference' and 'intuition is your only real usage guide' to discover what *enough* is defined as...for you, for your purposes and aims. If it looks good, it probably is. If it tastes strong, it probably is. What you consider to be good and/or strong is a whole 'nuther chapter in the book of opinions. When using a shotgun, it doesn't matter how many pellets missed after dinner is in the oven. You 'can' dig potatoes with a bulldozer. But those tracks in the lawn and holes in the fence might bother some picky individuals a bit. [Ya sorta have to aim and drive a little. ] Now, shooting for rabbits or deer, digging for white or russett? It's all meat and potatoes.

On the extremes of reality, I've had people tell me that the little red light won't light up any more. [There was no little red light] ..and...What's that square black box with the wire coming out of it for? I put it in my junk drawer. [Uh, that's the transformer...yes, Plug n' Play does include plugging something in.] Now, if you saw a non existent little red light that no longer lights up after not plugging anything in and made CS that time but can't now because something is broken, tell me how you did that!
 I want to know!

I can easily make a generator that's adjustable in all it's aspects. Writing the instructions encyclopedia? I doubt I could read it myself. I used to make a generator that had an adjustable speed stirrer. I couldn't tell people how fast too fast was or how slow slow enough was...and it was somewhat important...getting it right made a remarkable difference.

That's what writing detailed operating instructions for a home made generator will be like. Minor variations make major differences. The differences don't make all THAT much difference in the 'real' world, but just try and define them. Ole Bob has tried. I don't comprehend but half of it and Ole Bob has his own philosophy on what *he* wants to make that others may not agree with.... and it only took him a few decades to confuse me with reams of relevant info. [Is it just me?]

The catch 22 is something like: If you can read, understand and use a manual that covers all the interdependent nuances of building and controlling a generator and making CS that is perfect in your opinion, you don't really need one. If you try at all, you'll succeed to some degree. Even with a manual, the degrees can be honed sharper and that takes practice. A manual doesn't practice and it doesn't know what *you* want.

 Artists are brilliant people, but I'll let an electrician wire my house.
Or
Einstein went around with his shoes untied, so now we have Velcro. It's so easy, even a genius can use it.
[I call it Einsteinium]   Einstein didn't invent that.
 He could have used a Gordian knot?  That would work.

...now to find a source for Unobtianium  [grin]

ode