In the book The Body Electric there is a paragraph that leads with the
following:

"Dispassionate Philosopher inquiring into nature from the sheer love of
knowledge, single minded Alchemist puttering about a secluded basement in
search of elixirs to benefit all humanity - these ideals no longer fit most
Scientists......"

And I would say minus the adjective "dispassionate" the remaining quote seems
to fit the many Scientists on this list who still fit the description.....who
have gone the extra mile to help people regardless of whether their generators
are purchased from a vendor or assembled from Radio Shack parts and fish
bubblers. Matter of fact, many of the vendors are themselves instrumental in
the home brewers success.

There is a quote from Max Planck to wit:

"An important scientific innovation rarely makes itw way by gradually winning
over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul.
What does happen is the its opponents gradually die out and that the growing
generation is familiarized with the idea from the beginning. "

Best regards,

Ode Coyote <odecoy...@alltel.net> wrote: At 08:19 AM 5/8/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>Well, I see that vendors are on the defensive.  Unnecessarily.   Those
>that make CS with "hand lathed ,consistent DC current,   uniform  machines
>capable of  predetermined   PMMs still have margins of error..

##  Of course...just not HUGE undeterminable margins of error.
  They do, after all, work like primitive meters and even good meters are
far from perfect.
  To put things in historical perspective,  Do-it-yourselfers now have the
benefit of literally years of trial and error done by people who could see
that something needed improvement but there was absolutely no knowledge
available as to where to start.
Only a few years ago, there was no mention of current anywhere. There was
no network to consult.  Nothing.
  Everyone was using batteries and salt and had no idea there might be
something wrong about that.
  NOW, people can buy a decent almost foolproof generator for $200 or less
vs the $150 to $400 for *nothing-in-a-shoddy-black-box* that was the only
thing available back in the late 80s and early 90s. [When $150 was real
money...like a whole weeks 'good' pay.]
  I actually have a generator that sold for $150 in the early 80s that
makes a pint of black and brown emulsified multi layered sludge in less
than 4 minutes.....just before it overheats and catches fire ...according
to the warnings in the instructions. [nope, that ain't "it"]
It was given to me by my third customer who discovered how *disgustingly*
bad  it really was after getting an early version generator that still had
a ways to go. [but was miles beyond that pricey P.O.S. at exactly half the
cost.]

Personally, I had no thought of selling a CS generator till long after I
made one I liked for myself.
  It took about a day to figure out that I didn't like what was out there.
[Oh look!, I made mud... this time!]
..nope, that ain't it...[ being a forgetful fool, I wanted something more
fool proof  that I couldn't forget.]
  It wasn't even a motive to do the work. It was sheer curiosity at play
and enough experience with seat of the pants electroplating to know that
current plays a role... of some sort...to avoid making drain filler.

I don't know what Trems motives were, but we both did about the same thing
in the end starting at about the same time.

>Regardless  of what machine  is used or whether it is 3 nines or a
>transformer my comments regarding the making of GOOD CS are still applicable.

##  Sure..and some idea as to what good is and how...now.
  Once not very long ago, pink CS was thought by some to be desirable and
the very best was a bright deep yellow *with* detailed instructions on how
to make it that way along with the erroneous idea that color was an
indicator of [3-5] PPM.
  Colorless and highish PPM didn't fit into the same dictionary.  No
color...no silver.
Most people still think they need to keep their CS away from light and many
many vendors still send sea salt with their generators.

Somebody paid a few labs.  Some built their own labs.  [Ole Bob]
  Then...info sharing happened, many myths were busted  and "clues"
appeared so 3 nines 'can' make good CS reasonably consistently.
Some had their own labs already [American Biotech for one] but didn't share
anything but BS.

Ya'll can thank Mike the clue distributor.
  I know I've found more than quite a few here.

Uh, Thanks Mike.

Ode