If microwave water is deadly it should be deadly to even hardier plants.
One can't say "you didn't use the right kind of plant". That is fudging. Because the results are generalized to "any kind of plant" and "human health". Either microwaved water harms plants or it doesn't. Or if it only harms "certain" plants and seeds then that is what should be stated, instead of the blanket statements I've read many times on this list as to the harmfulness of microwaved water to plants and people per se. (The plant experiment seems to be basically intended to produce results that have some application to whether microwaved water is harmful to humans.) I am not certain anything valid re humans can be inferred from expeiments with micorwaved water on plants in any case.

Report on control experiment:
My control experiment seeds are now up and growing. Again 3 pop up peat pots, again cucumber seeds (all of which in both experiments have been from the same packet with even more effort in the control experiment to plant equally sized seeds) this time I only planted 2 seeds per pot, and was more careful about planting depth, to plant them all as closely the same as possible. Again one sprout is much taller than the others (though this time one seed in each pot sprouted on the same day). The second seeds eventually came up in every pot, but at varying days post planting. All of these 3 pots were soaked in tap water, and watered with tap water exactly the same.

My bean seeds planted in the garden are also showing a lot of difference in sprouting intervals and in growth rates. All of them were soaked in tap water, (these are large bean seeds) and are all in the same soil in the area in which they were planted. Depth varies a lot more in a garden planting, of course.

My conclusion is microwaved, boiled, or distilled water apparently makes no difference to at least these two types of seeds. Further, from my experiment control, and garden plantings of this year and previous years, individual seeds vary so much in sprouting times and growth rates, it is hard to make any valid conclusions at all from simple home experiments. Certainly to claim the water is at fault if some seeds are slower, or if some plants die, it would take very controlled conditions indeed to make a replicatable experiment from which any valid conclusions could be drawn. In my flower containers are planted several verbenas, all from the same nursery, all in the same potting soil, one has died, some are thriving, some are failing to thrive, again all are watered with the same water. On the basis of my own simple trials, and observaytions, I think the results seen in tests that seemed to show harm from microwaved water are far too likely to be simple variability to be taken seriously as proving microwaved water is harmful to plants.

If anyone who got different results (i.e. that microwaved water is harmful or killed plants or seeds) would like to post exact details, I'd like to try to replicate their results with exactly the same seeds, same soil, etc. I probably can't get the plants, though I can do any kind of seeds, if they can be purchased by mailorder. It would be helpful to have brand and type of seed, lot number, and growing year intended for.

As to ivy being very tough plants, I have an english ivy houseplant that has struggled for many years. It doesn't quite die, but the darn thing is anything but tough in my opinion. A little too wet or a little too dry, and it starts dying at the growing tips and sheds leaves like crazy. All my other plants grow and grow, but that darn ivy is too delicate for my lackadasical care.

As a side note, it was very interesting to me that there was some list involvement and wow factor from posts that claimed harm from micorwaved water, but only one single post saying "you didn't use the right plant" to Larry's and later my post that 2 people were unable to duplicate the results of harm. Could this resounding lack of interest because these latest results don't fit preconceived ideas?

sol

larry tankersley wrote:

Yes that's true, Ivy is hardy..... For this to be good science i.e. repeatability I should have ask , I believe it was Marshal, for type plants, stage of growth, soil used and all the other controls needed. Wasn't all that serious about it...... good science can be hard work, one must be serious in wanting to KNOW if what they THINK is TRUE

larry tankersley; Gainesville,Florida USA