Mike Monett wrote:

>   Marshall Dudley <mdud...@king-cart.com> wrote:
>
>   > Mike Monett wrote:
>
>   >> You are  kidding.   NASA   is   now   funding  projects  to study
>   >> antigravity formed  above a rotating disk, and ion  lifters which
>   >> have been analyzed and proven to be unscalable. Complete waste of
>   >> money.
>
>   >> They should  use  it to make more  robotic  satellites,  and more
>   >> visible and UV telescopes to replace Hubble.
>
>   > Why is it a complete waste of money? The antigravity  effect above
>   > a rotating  disk is a well established phenomonen  despite  no one
>   > having a theory as to why it occurs yet. That was confirmed at Oak
>   > Ridge National  Lab several years ago to my personally  by  one of
>   > their scientists.  You won't see many papers on it  though because
>   > researchers tend to not publish papers on experiments who's effect
>   > they cannot explain, plus there is a big clamp on  publishing this
>   > type of thing anyway for "National Security" reasons..  The common
>   > UFO apprears  to  be  a combination of a  rotating  disk  and high
>   > voltage, which  definitely  is capabile of  antigravity.  When you
>   > know there is a result, why not explore all the possible means you
>   > can to get there?
>
>   >  Marshall
>
>   Marshall, the  evidence  for  antigravity   as  a  combination  of a
>   rotating disk  and  high voltage is debatable. There  are  plenty of
>   papers available, but no one takes it seriously as a means for space
>   travel. It is unscalable.

Since they as yet have no theory as to how it works, how can they have a proof
that it is unscalable?  They use to think that the casimir effect was
unscalable to anything macroscopic as well, but
that of course have been proven wrong. They also thought transistors were
unscalable when they were frist invented, yet now they have managed to scale
them to control kilowatts and kiloamps.

>   Often, many signals you can obtain from a measurement are  buried in
>   noise. Recovering signals from noise has been my specialty  for over
>   40 years,  and  I have a number of  patents,  papers,  and invention
>   disclosures on the subject. For example, see the "Binary Sampler" at
>   the bottom of the page.

The changes in the gravity above the disks typically run from 3% to 10% or so
with the experiments that were run at Oak Ride Labs.  A 100 kilogram weight can
be measured easily to one gram or less,
or to better than 1/100,000 of it's weight. Thus this is hardly in the noise.
The changes are over 1,000 times the noise of precise force measuring devices.
If balances are used, the measurements
can easily be made for forces of one part in 100 million, so the changes are
over a million times the noise.

>   When an  effect is beneath the noise level, very  minor  effects can
>   appear to  be  related  to  the effect  you  are  looking  for. Many
>   researchers have  convinced  themselves that  an  experiment yielded
>   positive results, when nobody else could duplicate them.

I agree, but we are not talking about measurements anywhere near the noise.  We
are talking about measurements that are easy to make with signal to noise
ratios of from 1000 to over 1,000,000..

>   When an  effect is close to the limits of detection, any  thought of
>   scaling it  to  useful levels is out of the  question.  For example,
>   measurements of  the Casimir effect eluded scientists  for decades,
>   until recent  advances  in technology finally confirmed  it.  But it
>   will never  be  possible to scale it to the  level  that  would lift
>   space vehicles:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

How would it be used to lift spcaecraft, it only works at dimensions close to
the size of an atom?

But as it turns out the casimir effect IS easy to measure, you just have to
scale it so you have a force in the range of grams or more..  Gecko feet
provide a van der Waals adhesion which is
sufficient to hold up a gecko, and thus is very easy to measure.   A force
sufficient to hold up full sized lizard is easy to measure (and in fact
research has shown that all the setae on a gecho's
foot could support 200 to 300 pounds), which proves that despite your claim, it
is scalable to something useful, it just took a lizard to figure out how to do
it instead of a scientist: It hardly
takes an advance in technology to measure it, I can measure it using a gecko
and a cheap fishing scale.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/19/12252
http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/aug00/features/sticky/sticky.html

"Two years ago, the Gecko Team measured the force of a single seta from the
foot of a Tokay gecko (Gekko gecko). The team concluded that one hair could
hold up an ant, and that all of a gecko's
setae - if used simultaneously - could support the weight of an NFL linebacker."

www.sarahgoforth.com/gecko.pdf

>   Another example:  gravitational  waves   have  yet  to  be detected,
>   despite many  decades of attempts and much money  spent  in building
>   new systems.  We  even  know  how far  away  a  system  is  from the
>   detection threshold,  yet  the systems are  still  being  built. The
>   reason is it gives scientists ways to test new technology,  much the
>   same reasons  that fusion plants are built even though we  know they
>   will never  produce energy for sale. They advance the  state  of the
>   art.

Most attempts to measure gravity waves have used massive objects seperated at a
distance, and attempted to measure a change in distance between them.  They are
only capable of measuring gravity
waves with a wavelength approximately the distance between them.  However since
gravity travels infinitely fast (as opposed to the speed of light), most likely
gravity waves travel at the same
infinite speed, and thus the wavelength is infinite, making measurement of them
by this means an absolute impossibility no matter how far apart the weights are.

>   To answer  your  question  on  spending  money  to  explore  all the
>   possible means you can, NASA is severely constrained for  money. The
>   Shuttle program  has gutted the Space Science programs  for decades.
>   Projects have  been cancelled in order to support  the  Shuttle, and
>   the people  dispersed  to find ways to  support  their  families and
>   mortgages as  best  they  can. This is not the  way  to  attract top
>   people.

I agree that the shuttle program is a waste of money. It SHOULD be scrapped for
more economical and reliable solutions.

Marshall