Check this out:
Cell Wall Deficient Forms: Stealth Pathogens / Lida H. Mattman. --  3rd ed.
CRC Press 2001

In brief, there is no question; they exist. They have been microphotographed, copiously; cultured, put through their paces so to speak, survived the rigors of the Koch test with flying colors, if no cell walls. The existence of hype doesn't preclude their reality, it just confuses the issue if you don't happen to have the spare time to pursue a full-on career in research microbiology. Neither do I, just lucky to hit some good references and order some good books.

Take care, Malcolm

At 03:19 PM 7/15/06 -0400, you wrote:

  "Jonathan B. Britten" <jbrit...@cc.nakamura-u.ac.jp> wrote:

  > This whole  calculation  is   misleading  because  it  ignores the
  > question of how long nanobacteria live. It assumes none  die. With
  > a very short life span, the rate or reproduction might barely keep
  > up with the death rate.

  > I assume this calculation was intended to be a joke.

  >JBB

  Yes, Jonathan,  it  was  in jest. But  alas,  I  started  looking at
  nanobacteria more carefully, and it looks like the whole thing  is a
  joke.

  I tracked  down the original 1998 paper by Olavi  Kajander  and Neva
  Ciftcioglu of  the University of Kuopio in Finland. They  claimed to
  have found nanobacteria, surrounded by a calcium-rich mineral called
  apatite,

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.