Suicide is a very real risk among bipolars who are out of control.  I'm really
not a fan of pharma
solutions to most things, but having seen what bipolar did to my husband's
relatives, I'm at a
loss to offer other solutions.

MY SIL has had episodes where she was convinced she was being followed by the
CIA; that her
suitcases had been secretly loaded with bombs; that the hotel was poisoning her
food; that a
big-time movie director was leaving his wife for her; that everybody was trying
to kill her.
Once, she took all her possessions and put them in a moving van, and drove all
over CA until her
credit cards maxed out, to stay out of the clutches of "everybody" who was
trying to kill her.

She wasn't on meds then - now, on meds, she's much better, though she still
cycles "highs" and
"lows."  So does my BIL - though he was never as bad.  We think my niece (a
beautiful, bright,
well-loved 18-year-old) killed herself during the early onset of bipolar, which
was misdiagnosed
as depression, and for which she was given prescriptions for Paxil and Zoloft.

One of the things they sometimes give bipolars is antidepressants - and those
also carry suicide
warnings now, although the drug companies try to downplay that risk.  But, if a
bipolar is taking
an antidepressant during a manic episode, rather than a depressive episode, I
think it's really
Russian roulette.