That is correct.  A current limiting diode is in reality a FET trasistor which
has
the gate shorted to the source, and it is rated according to it's Iss.  If you
do
not connect the gate to anything, it will rise in current and be very unstable.
You can actually put a voltage on the gate of the transistor and change it's
limit
current, you can go down to almost 0, and up slightly, but you are limited to
abour .5 volt on the gate going up, since beyond that the gate source diode of
the
FET will be forward biased and start conducting.

Marshall