Tel writes:
> Nice commercial, seems to be the only one we ever see?
> We all know there are dozens of CS generators on the
> market, and Silver Puppy is near the bottom for value
> and production. I sent one back !

Sorry, Tel, but I don't begrudge Ken the occasional comment on his own
product, given as helpful as he is in general and the cooperative
attitude he shares with the other vendors who are regular participants
in the group. In this case it was good for him to explain the operating
modes and timing issues that were confusing to Nancy.

The Silver List is intended as a non-commercial forum in which vendors
are asked to relate to the community as individuals, not as
representatives of their businesses. The list rules require that anyone
who wants to post something that might be interpreted as self-promotion
contact me for permission, each time. If anybody starts getting too
commercial, I normally quietly rein them in via private counseling.
Over time they learn the limits and gain my ongoing trust and greater
freedom as a result of their good behavior.

The key to my permitting remarks on their own products is that they are
not competitive, adversarial, or frequent, and that their contributions
clearly place the needs of our members above any commercial advantage,
often, for example, extending to mention of competitive products as
viable alternatives to their own, so that members may judge for
themselves.

We've had outbreaks of Vendor-Warz(tm) in the past, begun by
individuals who refused to cooperate and insisted on being aggressive
toward those they saw as competitors. The loss of their potential
contributions to the group is sad, but to my mind there is more value
to us in the Ken's, Trem's, Frank's, Marshal's, Duncan's (and others!)
who remain. And, it is always those people's own choice whether they
adapt to these expectations of mine or do not.

It is generally best for vendors and customer both to conduct business
related activities in private. If Ken had been a bit quicker and Nancy
more patient, her questions may have been answered privately and
without creating any awkwardness on the list, but there is no harm
done, in my opinion, and we actually learned something.

Yes, these standards have a degree of subjectivity to them, though I
attempt to be as even-handed as I can. That's the nature of the benign
dictatorship which describes any carefully moderated list or forum.
<sigh>

I hope that explains my approach to this and that it is generally
acceptable to you, Tel, and the other members.

Be well,

Mike Devour
Silver List owner