Hi Dee,

I don't know of any other form of magnesium in pills like aspirin other than magnesium stearate. this is what Wikipedia says:

Magnesium stearate, also called octadecanoic acid, magnesium salt, is a white substance which is solid at room temperature. It has the chemical formula C36H70MgO4. It is a salt containing two equivalents of stearate (the anion of stearic acid) and one magnesium cation (Mg2+). Magnesium stearate melts at about 88 °C, is not soluble in water, and is generally considered safe for human consumption. Because it is widely regarded as harmless, it is often used as a filling agent in the manufacture of medical tablets and capsules. In this regard, the substance is also useful because it has lubricating properties, preventing ingredients from sticking to manufacturing equipment during the compression of chemical powders into solid tablets. It is also a common ingredient in baby powders. In pure powder form, the substance can be a dust explosion hazard, although this issue is effectively moot beyond the manufacturing plants using it.

When used as a filling agent in the manufacture of capsules and tablets, such as vitamins, the source of this ingredient is typically beef. However, there is an increasing number of vegetarian options in which the product specifically indicates it contains magnesium stearate from vegetable sources.

I do not know if this form of magnesium is even used by the body. I have never heard of this source being used. It is just an anti-caking agent from my experience. I do work in a pharmacy.

G Murray

Dee wrote:

Can anyone tell me the name of the certain sort of aspirin which has a high magnesium content? Someone on one of the lists said it and I think it sounded like Bayer or Mayer or something. I did save it but saved it in my 'health' folder and now can't find it! TAI Dee