Hi, Jodi, I could access the first link you gave us. I printed it out. The second one is limited to members only . It looked like membership may be pretty expensive. Think the first one gave me plenty of information to digest. Thanks, Ruuth

From Ruth Strackbein

From: "Jodi W Menard" <jwmen...@cox.net>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>low sodium on blood test
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:07:56 -0500

Ruth -  Please forgive me
for harping on this, but constipation and digestive disturbances are

symptoms of hypothyroidism, and the report below warns that low thyroid
is especially prevelant

in older folks with colonic conditions.

About low sodium (for Paula too): Snipped from:
http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic57.htm

"Hyponatremia often is seen in patients with hypothyroidism."

(Hyponatremia is the medical term for low sodium in the blood.)

"Hypothyroidism causes a constellation of changes in the body. The lack
of thyroid hormone results in

slowed or reduced metabolic function, such as decreased protein
turnover and impaired carbohydrate

metabolism. These metabolic changes occur in many organ systems,
including muscle.  Pain with

muscle exertion is characteristic of defective carbohydrate metabolism."

___________

Here's the report:   From
http://www.springerlink.com/content/j552v5737392253w/

Acute colonic surgery and unrecognized hypothyroidism: A Warning -
Report of Six Cases

Diseases of the Colon & Rectum

Publisher Springer New York - ISSN 0012-3706 (Print) 1530-0358 (Online)
Subject Medicine -

Issue Volume 40, Number 7 / July, 1997 - Category Case Reports - DOI
10.1007/BF02055446 -

Pages 859-861 SpringerLink Date Thursday, August 18, 2005 - Eric
Bergeron1, Andrew Mitchell1,

Françoise Heyen1 and Serge Dubé1

(1)  Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of
Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Abstract   PURPOSE: This study was designed to highlight the
significant morbidity related to undetected

hypothyroidism in the elderly who are undergoing emergency surgery.
METHOD: Case reports of six

patients who presented with acute colonic surgical conditions are
reviewed. RESULTS: Six cases of

undetected hypothyroidism in a group of elderly patients was unmasked
at the time of surgery for acute

colonic conditions or in the perioperative period. These patients
experienced increased morbidity, but once

detected and treated, all but one had an uneventful recovery.

CONCLUSION: Unrecognized hypothyroidism may lead to unnecessary surgery
or even a potentially fatal

outcome. A heightened awareness of this not so uncommon entity is
mandatory.

____________________

I hope this helps.          Jodi

ruth strackbein wrote on 4/4/2007, 4:12 PM:

> Thanks, Paula,  I suspect that I may have had excessive stools the
day

> they put me in the hospital and tested my sodium level.  I do not

> usually actually have "runs", but rather many formed stools in one
day

> and then diminishing amounts one or two succeeding days. Then
nothing.

> After a day or two, I do something about it because my ascending
colon

> feels tight and full and I begin to pass tiny little narrow
cylinders

> which require huge effort and sometimes, manual intervention.
Sorry if