At 10:54 AM 4/6/2007 -0400, you wrote:

We call it "energizing".  I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

See http://silver-lightning.com/theory.html#HP

*How does H2O2 affect EIS*

When H2O2 is added to EIS (one or two drops per glass of EIS), it will be noted that there is an immediate clearing effect. The Tyndall (what you see if you shine a laser pointer though the liquid) will become very faint as well. If the ppm of the EIS is sufficiently high (25 to 30 ppm) a white cloudy precipitate may form as well.

There are a number of reactions that occur. H2O2 is normally thought of as an oxidizer, but it can act as a reducer as well. Also silver is considered a catalyst for H2O2, but in actuality gets directly involved in the reactions.

The H2O2 reacts with the silver particles, producing ionic silver, a combination of silver hydroxide and silver oxide. This makes the large particles disappear, reducing the tyndall. However H2O2 also reacts with the silver oxide and silver hydroxide producing a 2 atom colloid of silver plus oxygen (and water in the case of silver hydroxide). Over time this 2 atom colloidal particle can end up being converted back to silver oxide and silver hydroxide, and so forth. The final result is a mixture of ionic silver (hydroxide and oxide) and very small colloidal particles. Thus if you add H2O2 to freshly made EIS, you can sometimes see the oxygen bubble off, and the tyndall may change significantly. But more importantly, the particulate portion of the EIS will go from being medium or large particles to many more very small particles, and the particle content will increase from a typical 5-15% to around 30-50%. If you have a strong tyndall from large particles, it will decrease, and if you have a weak or no tyndall it will increase with the formation of the 2 atom particles. This enhances absorption, as well as effectiveness.

Note that it is recommended to let the EIS sit for 5 or more minutes if you do add H2O2 to it to let it stabilize.

*Marshall

+++  Make that 2 or more days and I'm right with you.

Ode

*
joe bloggs wrote:
I've read that adding one or two drops of 35% hydrogen peroxide to colloidal
silver can break up the silver into smaller particles.  Does anyone know
anything about this?
Any info or advice would be much appreicated.  Thanks.
Frankie

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>