Yes, this helps, thanks.  Your summary is excellent, as always.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: M. G. Devour [mailto:mdev...@eskimo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:03 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: CS>Re: Carb Blockers

Dear Dan,

I bought and read the e-book version of this yesterday, on the strength
of Charles' recommendation and the promotional information at Dr.
Sears' web site.

I can say that it does sound entirely plausible. His main thesis is that
in order to make your body build more heart, lung, and muscle capacity
you need to challenge it with varied and progressive intense loads of
brief duration that are beyond our aerobic capacity.

He explains that long duration low intensity exercise causes the body to
optimize itself for the greatest efficiency under that form of stress.
Thus you will tend to lose reserve or "extra" heart, lung, and muscle
strength beyond what's needed for your usual workout.

Instead, he advocates short bursts of activity that create an oxygen
debt, separated by recovery intervals, and gathered into workouts that
are long enough to burn your reserves of ATP, glucose and glycogen, but
*not* long enough to engage your fat metabolism. Rather than adapting by
storing up new fat for the next overly long low intensity workout, the
body now uses its fat stores to rebuild the stock of immediately
available energy in preparation for the next burst of activity.

He describes how to use his strategy with virtually any form of
exercise, from calesthenics, rebounding and various machines, to
running, biking, and swimming, so it is extremely flexible. It is
totally adaptable to *ANY* level of fitness and ability.

He warns us not to do any program unchanged for more than a few weeks.
He discourages weight training, but does have tailored suggestions for
*strength* training, along with other optimizations for cardiac,
pulmonary and weight loss targets.

It's an interesting idea for me, since I don't have the desire, energy
or focus to do any sort of long workout, but I *am* willing to do ten
minutes a day on the rebounder, alternating between "health bounce"
warmup and recovery periods and short sprints of more strenuous moves.

Charles, can you say what you've been doing with it so far? I'd be
interested in any results you've begun to see.

Hope that helps, Dan.

Be well,

Mike D.