As I read this I am wondering if you ever considered whooping cough???
If you google whooping cough on the rise or whooping cough outbreaks or
whooping cough misdiagnosed you will find a plethora of information.

I am reminded of 2 yrs ago when my toddler, baby and I contracted
whooping cough. It is massively underdiagnosed and commonly
'misdiagnosed' as bronchitis, or whatever flu is going around and the
like with people being given puffers and antibiotics as a treatment. I
recall reading that any cough longer then 2 weeks in an adult could
potentially be whooping cough- the classic 'whoop' usually only occurs
in children. For some, mostly adults it can be very mild and just
unexplained where nothing seems to work for it. CDC is reporting highest
#'s in 40 years. We contracted ours from a local teen and they say that
is the hardest hit population right now.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53724

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9A07E4D91F39F9
36A35755C0A960958260

If a child is vaccinated it typically only provides about an 80%
protection from the disease, as with many of us older folks, our
vaccines would have waned long ago ;-)  I did read that dangerous levels
of vitamin Cand low levels of vitamin A are the main reasons why some
people  get it and some don't. Massive doses of sodium ascorbate turned
us around. This makes a lot of sense considering my children AND I were
VERY low in both as well as zinc and selenium.

Finding a doctor that can diagnos it is pretty tricky. Doesn't really
matter anyway, because antibiotics don't work and you just need to ride
it out. I told the ER doc my baby had whooping cough as I knew my
toddler at home had had it for 2 weeks already- we had a real good case
of it and in our situation, there was just no mistaking it. Anyhow the
ER doc told me there was NOTHING wrong with my baby- it was her mother
and also that whooping cough DID NOT exist anymore, THAT'S why we
vaccinate! I told him to F off and he said "lady what do you want from
me". I said I am exhausted and I just want to speak to someone who knows
this disease as I have some questions for a real person as I've beenr
easearching this disease for weeks now. The pediatrician walked in and
said in 2 seconds that absolultey that was whooping cough and they
swabbed to confirm what I already knew. ;-)

So I just thought I'd throw this out there just in case it might help
others with any unexplained coughs ;-)

Wendy
Canada