On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:

Multi-unit structures.  Striping came along with redundant arrays of
inexpensive disks.  At $50,000 a drive, RP07s were not candidates. ;-)

Heh, definitely not. ;)

Getting a file system working was about 6 months of last year.

Long talks with two old friends, both SAIL alumni who worked on the OS when it
was a research specialty all its own, were the first part--and sometimes one or
the other would not remember changes made for later devices (like the RP07s).
Then I discovered the program RSKINI in browsing SAILDART.org, and things began
to gel; I eventually converted it from FAIL to Macro-10, instrumented the hell
out of it[1], and took the logged output as the source for the next part of the
process.

Recovering stuff like this is very fascinating to me.

That consisted of setting up FILDDT batch jobs on Tops-10 (patched to not treat
foreign drives as offline) where the output from RSKINI was scribbled directly
onto the disks.[2]  Once that was done, WAITS could boot past the point where
it wanted to turn on swapping.

Those patches sound useful for some CIS stuff.

Does that mean you have bootable TENEX installation media, or would you
need to construct manually and cross-assemble before rebuilding itself?

I don't think anyone has bootable TENEX media.  It would be a labor of love to
try to cross-compile TENEX under TOPS-20 on a Toad-2, then build a boot program
for the KI that could read it in from disk.  At least the file system layout is
similar to TOPS-20.

Hmmm - yeah.

We've probably bored the broader audience enough.  Talk to you soon in private
e-mail.

Probably - I was unsure if private mails go through - my mailserver is funny.

                                                               Rich

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects